Presentation and communication skills: which course is right for you?
By Jakki Bendell.
Looking to improve your presentation or communication skills? The Centre offers a suite of courses for people at different stages of their career. This overview introduces three of our recently revamped courses that cover presentation skills. It shows who they're for and what you can expect from each one.
If you’ve never given a presentation before or if the idea of presenting still seems daunting, then the one-day Confident and effective presentations course is for you.
This practical, fun course covers all the basics of managing your content, your audience and yourself. In a safe, supportive learning environment, you will learn how to:
- Plan and structure your presentation with tools to bring clarity and focus to your message.
- Understand your audience and their expectations to make sure you are well prepared.
- Calm your nerves on the day with tips and techniques to handle the stress response that we all experience when we’re speaking in public.
- Develop your confidence by identifying and working with your natural strengths.
- Create a positive impact by creating awareness of your body language, dress and voice.
The two-day Impactful presentations: two-day masterclass course is for more experienced presenters who want to give memorable, high-impact presentations that wow their audience.
As well as a refresher on the skills covered on the one-day course, you will learn how to:
- Develop a personal style that is inspiring and adaptable enough for a small team meeting or large conference.
- Quickly build rapport with your listeners so that they are more receptive to your message.
- Handle questions with confidence - even the difficult and unexpected ones.
- Increase your impact with attention grabbing openings and closings.
They say that if you’re a leader, all speaking is public speaking – whether you’re talking to one person or a thousand. The two-day Powerful communication skills for leaders explores the latest scientific thinking on interpersonal communication and the chance to explore how you come across in various, challenging scenarios.
Designed for leaders and senior managers who want to develop their self-awareness, authenticity and impact, on this course you will learn how to:
- Strengthen your connection with others by understanding different communication styles, building rapport and developing an empathetic mindset.
- Make your message remarkable using different types of energy, storytelling and verbal techniques to engage listeners on an emotional level.
- Develop your authenticity and presence by deliberately taking yourself out of your comfort zone and exploring your key values.
- Communicate a difficult message assertively but with heart, so that people want to understand and work with you.
All three courses use video and feedback. The trainers create a supportive but challenging environment to help delegates practise new skills and techniques confidently at every level.
If you’d like to know more about the courses, do give one of our event coordinators a call on 020 7490 3030.
Jakki Bendell has over ten years' experience as a consultant, trainer and coach specialising in business writing skills. As a practising professional writer, Jakki draws on a wealth of stories and personal experience to illustrate her courses.