Advanced Minutes: formal minute taking for Board and Governance meetings
The value and importance, to any organisation, of accurate and effective minutes, should not be underestimated. Good minute taking skills are invaluable and a good minute taker worth their weight in gold.
This one-day course builds on the centres highly popular introductory minute taking course – taking and writing effective minutes – to equip more experienced minute-takers with the additional skills and knowledge required for taking formal minutes in Trustee, Board and Governance meetings as well as Executive and SLT meetings.
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 3 October, 2019
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then Group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
On the day you will learn:
- The purpose and legal requirements of formal minutes
- Governing body minutes – board; governance; trustee and senior leadership team minutes.
- Committee meeting structures and terms of reference.
- The language, grammar, structure and terminology of formal minutes.
- The role of the minute taker
- Working effectively to support the chair.
- Effective listening and note-taking skills.
- Summarising and editing skills.
- Meeting protocols and effective meeting preparation.
- Confidence and assertiveness in minuting meetings.
- practical exercises including real life opportunities to practice taking minutes
- A year of free support from your trainer
Who is this course for?
Our one-day Advanced Minutes course has been specifically designed and developed for people with previous minute taking experience; including PA’s who take minutes for Board, Governance and Trustee meetings, Committee Secretaries of professional bodies, experienced PA’s, and those with at least five years minute taking experience. For those with little to no experience, we would suggest attending our one-day Minutes: taking and writing effective minutes course.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
This course provides you with an opportunity to improve your understanding of formal minute taking and the skills needed as an experienced minute taker.
It will help enhance your listening, note-taking, summarising, editing and assertiveness skills, to enable you to deliver accurate, effective and timely minutes as well as build your confidence in taking formal minutes for Governance and senior level meetings
- Other courses to consider
- £345 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £445 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £495 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)