Becoming an effective consultant
Whether it's independently, on a part time basis, or within your organisation, more of us are taking on a consultancy role. Your expert knowledge is your biggest asset but do you have the supporting skills to ensure you succeed in a consultancy role?
Do you have strong business skills? Can you analyse information and construct a recommendation on a course of action? Do you have good communication, observation and character analysis abilities? Can you ensure that your advice and knowledge is communicated clearly and concisely to your client?
Our one-day course has been developed to help anyone starting a career in consultancy. It's an opportunity to reflect upon the skills you need and develop those that will help you succeed in your new role.
Organisations of all types - commercial, nonprofits and government - seek outside assistance to enhance their performances. A business consultant can uncover issues, solve problems and determine new opportunities on behalf of their clients. On this course you can learn if this fast-paced, exciting and potentially financially-rewarding industry is for you.
“The course fully met both of my objectives and helped my confidence, I will return to the office and put plans into actions. Our trainer was great; knowledgeable and approachable.”
— SB, The Citizenship Foundation
“Exceeded expectations! Everything has been excellent! Great facilities, very helpful / friendly. Booking process and great trainer / training!”
— EW, The Citizenship Foundation
“It was a really good course and covered a good introduction in becoming a consultant and what I need to think about.”
— JK, The Citizenship Foundation
Course dates and location
We can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
If you would like to attend this course at our London training suite then register your interest with us. Currently, this course is run on request meaning that a date will be scheduled once we have at least three people interested in attending this course. Please contact us to log your interest in this course.
Over the day you will cover:
- personal impact
- creating relationships: the first meeting
- communicating for consultants
- managing projects and the consultancy cycle
- marketing your consultancy
- identifying effective questions
- shaping client expectations
- building credibility
- improving your presentation style
- providing feedback to the client
- a year of free support
This course takes place at the Centre's central London training suite.
Who is this course for?
This course will provide an introduction to the skills, knowledge and attributes that are required to become a consultant. We'll show you what you need to start a consulting business and give you insight into the world of consulting. It's also a great opportunity to meet like minded people who are also starting out in this role.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of the programme you will be able to:
- develop your personal impact as a consultant
- create effective relationships with clients
- market your consultancy using social media and the press
- shape client expectations effectively
- pitch your consultancy to new clients with style and confidence
- create feedback systems to use with clients that demonstrate efficacy
- use project management skills to enhance your consultancy
- Other courses to consider
- £345 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £445 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £495 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)