Budgeting for non financial managers
Our London based budget management course is for everyone struggling to put together and manage a budget. The course takes a practical, hands on and straightforward approach to budget making and will give invaluable tools and techniques to help you develop and control your budget.
“I now feel more confident when dealing with budgets. The course was excellent and the trainer was very knowledgeable and kept the topic interesting.”
— NT, Goldsmiths
“The trainer was very clear, patient (thank goodness) and thorough in her delivery and explanations. I enjoyed the day and the location and facilities were excellent.”
— PD, International Student House
“Very good. I liked the use of practical tasks to help our understanding whilst continually making them relevant to each individual's situation.”
— HT, IPPL UK
“The course was very clear and the trainer was happy to explain points and answer questions.”
— JG, Diabetes UK
“The pace of the course was just right, I really liked the resources in the booklet. Everyone in our organisation should attend this course!”
— SY, Goldsmiths
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 22 June, 2017
- 7 August, 2017
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
Budget Management Skills Courses in London
This is finance training that focuses on your budget and budgeting skills. The Budgeting for non-financial managers course looks at the elements of a budget, what to understand before you start to plan the budget, different ways of assembling a budget and how to avoid the common pitfalls. We will look at the tools used to manage a budget and help you to understand the paperwork produced and used in your own organisation.
The course covers:
- the definition and purpose of a budget
- common pitfalls in the budgeting process and how to avoid them
- budgeting techniques - incremental budgeting, zero based budgeting
- how to prepare different types of budget - revenue, cost, capital, cash
- practical tips for preparing an effective budget
- phasing/profiling the annual budget
- getting buy-in to the budget
- the budget presentation: what you need to be able to answer
- how to manage the budget
- what to look for when you get your monthly management accounts
- predicting expenditure
- investigating differences from the budget
- avoiding overspend and getting back on track
- a year of free support
This budget management course takes place at the Centre's central London training suite with easy access to mainline rail, tube and bus routes.
Who is this course for?
Our Budgeting for non-financial managers training is for anyone who needs to set and manage budgets but don't have the expertise or specific training in this area of finance. For anyone without a finance background who wants to learn about budgets in plain English, then this is the course for you.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
This Budgeting for non-financial managers course will help you put together a budget that stands up to external scrutiny - by funders, the board and external regulators. This is finance training to give you confidence as well as skills. You will be able to phase your budget accurately over the year so as to understand the peaks and troughs of income and expenditure and you will be able to manage and control your budget to avoid nasty surprises.
Other courses to consider
Other courses available at the centre include: Finance for non financial managers, which is a two day course covering not just budgeting, but all the financial aspects of a manager's role such as costing, pricing and reading accounts.
- £345 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £445 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £495 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)