Business writing skills for ESL (English as a second language) Four-day programme over two months
If English isn't your first language, writing at work can be a daunting task. Even if you’re a fluent speaker with a solid grasp of English grammar, you may not be confident about what’s expected of you or know how to structure and word a business email, find the right words, or get the tone right.
Course dates and location
We can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
If you would like to attend this course at our London training suite then register your interest with us. Currently, this course is run on request meaning that a date will be scheduled once we have at least three people interested in attending this course. Please contact us to log your interest in this course.
- There are no dates available at the moment.
This four-day programme is specially designed with you in mind. Gaining confidence and proficiency in another language takes time, and so the training is spread over two months to allow for plenty of practice and skills-building. Throughout the course you’ll get regular feedback and individual attention from your trainer, as well as being encouraged to contribute to group discussions and work with your fellow delegates.
Topics covered in the first two days will include:
• Identifying your strengths and areas for development
• The principles of good writing at work—a reader-centred approach
• Planning a document and finding the right structure
• Writing in plain English, connecting with your reader
• Useful words and phrases, getting the tone and corporate voice right
• A grammar refresher, and good sentence construction
• Common mistakes, and a few myths
• Punctuation and style guidelines
• Confusing words and spellings
• Paragraphing effectively, making your writing flow
• Presentation, layout and proofreading
The second two days will be run as workshops, offering guided practice in a range of writing tasks, individually and collectively, and introducing you to new topics according to your needs. You will work on your own documents; try out your learning in the workplace and bring the results back for feedback and analysis; and create documents that you can use with confidence back in the office. You will leave with a portfolio of templates and good-practice models, an action plan, a comprehensive handbook, and resources for developing your skills and building your confidence.
Who is this course for?
This programme is suitable for anyone working in English as a second language who would like support in any aspect of writing at work.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of the two months, you will know how to write clearly, concisely and effectively at work, whatever the task; express yourself in the right language and tone; spot and correct any mistakes in your writing; further develop your skills and become a more confident writer.
- £900 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £1350 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £1550 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)