Event management: intermediate
(Former name: Advanced event management)
This intermediate course for event managers and coordinators with event planning experience will give you the ‘how to’ skills of creating successful and crucially rewarding public or business events.
“The trainer did a brilliant job of showing how to apply the principles to my organisation.”
— TA, Trinity Chapel
“The course was extremely useful. The trainer made the subject easy to understand and relevant to my role - she broke it down into small, easy-to-understand chunks.”
— SJ, ULA
“Very good. The trainer used a mix of presentations and practical tasks to keep everyone involved. The use of real examples also helped.”
— KP, Westminster City Council
Course dates and location
All our training courses are being delivered virtually. The webinar systems used do not require software download.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 9 September, 2021
We can deliver this course virtually for your organisation, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
This one day course is a hands on, high content workshop designed to give you all the tools you need to run successful events - on time, on budget, every time. You will get clear, logical, easy to follow advice covering pre-event market research, event design, venue evaluation and selection, event programming, promotion and delivery. You will get a reference material, top tips, planning aids and access to our unique 8-stage event planning process. The aim of this course is to give you the skills and confidence to plan and direct your own high quality events.
The course will cover:
- the real world of event planning
- 8 point event expert planning process
- purpose: pre-event market research techniques, event feasibility, audience profiling
- presentation: Creating and designing an event that excites! Agreeing a look, style and format, setting event aims, idea generation and evaluation and writing event briefs.
- event planning: The leg work, event project plans, budgeting and financial strategies, picking your event team, competent contractors, suppliers contracts, event planning meetings, what will you call your event
- place: setting venue criteria, searching and evaluating your venue, site visits, venue quotes, preparing event site plans
- programme: Designing an event programme that’s excites, creating your event programme, catering, encouraging audience engagement, setting event timings, searching and booking event activities
- promotion: event promotional plans, creating compelling copy, using a variety of promotional media, calls to action, event web sites
- production: Delivering your event, event operational plans, managing your event day teams and suppliers, event health and safety and risk assessments
- people: It’s show time, leading your events teams, event evaluation and return
- a year of free support
All our training courses are delivered virtually. The webinar systems used do not require software download.
Who is this course for?
The course is aimed at those with event management experience who are keen to learn the tools and techniques used by professional event planners to help them deliver high quality successful and rewarding events.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
The course enables you to update your knowledge and skills in the effective organisation and management of events. You will learn how to:
- deliver your event set against the principals of the 8 step event planning process
- create and design events that excite an audience and which have a clear purpose, theme and structure
- project plan, budget, run your event planning teams and select competent contractors
- set a venue criteria, search, short list, contract and site plan your events venue
- design and deliver an event programme that’s created to deliver the money action: the change in behaviour you require
- create compelling event promotional copy using a variety of on and off line media and promotional plans designed to deliver people
- deliver your event using operational plans, while managing your suppliers, contractors, programme activities and event day teams
- be able to lead, motivate, brief and run your event day teams
…and produce successful and importantly rewarding events…on time every time
Other courses to consider
If you are new to event management and are looking for an introductory level course, take a look at Event management: an introduction.
You may find Project management an useful course which covers the broader area of managing the whole project rather than just the event.
Alternatively, consider Finance skills for non financial managers which will help you with the financial aspects of event management.
- £589 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £654 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)