Leading virtual and remote teams
The modern workplace operates in a highly virtual world. Whether it’s a videoconference via Skype or project managing a team based in different counties, virtual working is becoming the norm for individuals and managers.
This new way of working places challenges on us and our ability to lead and communicate effectively. It requires a specific set of tools and techniques to keep your team engaged and motivated.
On our one-day workshop you will gain practical tools to manage and communicate effectively with virtual and remote teams. You will understand what is needed to deliver results across multi-sites and develop new techniques to effectively convey your messages to your team. You will discover how to make the most of virtual working by developing a flexible and adaptable team, and how this can gain a competitive advantage. We will also give guidance and best practice examples around common pitfalls to ensure that you have the skills and strategies to keep your team on track.
“I definitely gained a valuable insight into this course. The trainer was great and delivered the course with a great style.”
— ES, The Diana Award
“The course met my objectives and allowed me to meet lots of interesting people with very interesting ideas and experiences.”
— AY, Euclid Network
“I benefited greatly from hearing and learning from the other participants in the group. ”
— JC, LawWorks
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 4 October, 2017 — 20% off
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
This course will cover:
- understanding the challenges of a virtual team environment
- building a high-performing, virtual team
- identifying patterns and root causes for disengagement
- developing trust
- coaching from a distance
- motivating virtual and multi-cultural teams
- using communication tools effectively
- how and when to use online tools such as Skype and Webex
- planning and conducting virtual meetings
- resuscitating a dysfunctional meeting
- techniques to ensure you are heard and understood
- ensuring your whole team can access the information they need
- developing yourself as a virtual leader
- understanding what your team needs from you
- supporting your workforce
- leadership tips and techniques
- action planning for further development
- common pitfalls and how to manage these
- 12 month call-back service
This course takes place at the Centre's central London training suite.
Who is this course for?
This course is for new and established managers that are responsible for remote or virtual teams. Whether that’s one or two colleagues, consultants, direct reports in different countries or simply staff that are based on different sites. This course would also benefit those who do not directly manage staff but are responsible for projects that involve virtual teams.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
On our Leading virtual and remote teams training course, you will learn how to:
- motivate and engage your virtual or remote team
- create trust and provide the right level of support
- communicate effectively using online tools
- identify communication skills and techniques ideally suited to virtual working
- understand common virtual communication pitfalls and how to avoid them
- develop yourself as a virtual leader
- Other courses to consider
- £345 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £445 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £495 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)