Negotiation can help you achieve aims and solve problems. It is about reaching win:win solutions, where all parties feel the outcome is fair. This course will help you understand the process of negotiation - how to prepare, having clear aims and objectives, how and when to use different negotiating styles, strategies and tactics. It will give you the confidence to be a successful negotiator. You will also have the opportunity of practising your new skills with video feedback.
“An excellent blend of tuition and role play - the sessions flowed easily and were relevant and easy to understand.”
— YD, Hive GB
“As usual I really enjoyed training at the Centre, the space is really conducive to learning in a safe and friendly way. ”
— EP, Museum of London
“The course was a great introduction to negotiating and gave the opportunity for practicing skills. It gave a good grounding to work from. As always, I was very satisfied with the overall experience. ”
— NB, HCPC
“The trainer is superb, she is knowledgeable and communicates well with all kinds of people. For me, the role play in particular raelly helped it come to life.”
— GA, FSCS
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 12 October, 2020
- 29 January, 2021
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then Group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
The one-day course will cover:
- your values and how they impact on your negotiations
- understanding the nature of the gap between you and the other party
- what does win:win really mean?
- preparing for a negotiation
- know yourself and your preferred negotiation style
- being clear about your aims, setting objectives
- finding out as much as you can about the other party's needs and aspirations
- developing a strategy for success
- conducting a negotiation
- establishing a productive environment
- your negotiating team and their roles
- opening a negotiation
- five top tips for negotiators
- recognising and dealing with 'underhand' tactics and manipulation
- finding imaginative solutions rather than beating the other party into the ground
- skills you will need
- assertiveness - how to be assertive, but not aggressive, in negotiations
- questioning skills
- listening skills
- summarising and synthesising skills
This course is highly interactive, with opportunities to practise individual skills in communication techniques.
Still not sure if this is the right course for you? Take a look at our top tips for successful negotiation, to give you a taste of the course content, as well as some free, handy advice on negotiation!
Who is this course for?
The course is designed for anyone whose work involves negotiation or persuasion - with individuals or in groups. The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
The course will give you the confidence and skills to be able to plan and implement a successful negotiation. You will be able to recognise manipulative tactics, and deal with them, and you will be better able to find creative solutions that lead to a win:win outcome.
- Other courses to consider
- £589 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £654 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)