Advanced face-to-face communication at work
(Former name: Powerful communciation skills for leaders)
Communication skills are key to the success of every organisation. You may have the best ideas, the clearest vision or the most coherent strategy. But if you don’t convey your messages directly with energy, awareness and authenticity, they may miss their mark.
On this intensive and challenging two-day course, you will learn how to develop the impact and influence of your communication skills in presentations, talks, workshops and meetings.
We don’t take a ‘one-size fits all’ approach. Communicating effectively is about developing your own voice, being true to your character and values while respecting those of your listeners.
The course takes concepts from Emotional Intelligence, social psychology and storytelling, and helps you apply them in practical group exercises. This approach will challenge your thinking, develop your self-awareness and help you develop your own authentic communication style.
The group size is capped at eight participants, so you will get the chance to practice real-life communication scenarios in a safe, focused and constructive environment. Your confidence and awareness will increase, as well as your ability to communicate with power and clarity.
“A fantastic course with an obviously experienced trainer. It was really well structured and easy to follow. I have learnt more than I would have believed and feel a lot more confident going forward.”
— FB, L&Q Housing
“The trainer was great - really energetic and he has loads of experience. He was good at confidence building in the group and I gained tips on how to do successful presentations.”
— CH, Chance UK
“Brilliant - and I don't usually say that. The trainer was engaging and there was a mix of practical experiences and exercises, including video, which allowed me to develop and see my progression.”
— AM, Transport for London
“Fantastic training. I was the only one on the course so I had 1:1 training and could use personal examples for my job. ”
— GF, St Catherines Hospice
“The course content was absolutely brilliant, covering all aspects that I was looking for. The course delivered was above and beyond my expectations. ”
— LF, Villa Plus
Course dates and location
We can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
If you would like to attend this course at our London training suite then register your interest with us. Currently, this course is run on request meaning that a date will be scheduled once we have at least three people interested in attending this course. Please contact us to log your interest in this course.
- There are no dates available at the moment.
The course will cover:
- principles of high-level interpersonal communications
- characteristics of great communicators
- developing energy
- using posture, movement and voice for maximum impact
- 4 speaker roles – what impact do you want to create?
- developing connection
- your communication and leadership style
- building rapport and empathy
- assertiveness without aggression
- belief systems and how they impact behaviour
- 6 levels of assertiveness
- developing listener involvement
- making your message memorable with verbal techniques
- storytelling - the hero’s journey
- developing authenticity
- your personal cause
- developing your fearless, natural self
- the way forward
- from inner critic to inner coach
- action planning
- a year of free support
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Not sure if this is the right course for you? Check out our blog article about which presentation and communication skills course you need depending on your experience and audience.
- principles of high-level interpersonal communications
Who is this course for?
This Advanced communication skills course is for leaders, entrepreneurs, managers, trainers and anyone who relies on their face-to-face communication skills to be effective at work.
Previous experience or training in this area is encouraged but not essential.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
At the end of our Advanced communication skills course you will:
- identify the qualities and behaviours of powerful communicators
- understand the barriers to effective face-to-face communication at work
- develop awareness of how your behaviour changes when you are under pressure, and learn how to channel the energy positively
- identify and adapt your preferred communication style to suit different work contexts
- understand the role of rapport in influencing others and know how to develop it
- be able to apply assertiveness techniques to get your opinions across without being aggressive
- know how to keep your audience interested with an appropriate structure for your message and with verbal techniques
- understand what makes you appear authentic and credible, and know how to develop these qualities
- recognise how your ‘inner critic’ can sabotage your efforts, and how to develop instead your ‘inner coach’
- have an action plan to develop the innovative techniques to take your communication skills to a new level
Other courses to consider
The Centre offers a wide range of courses to help managers and leaders develop their skills, including Developing your personal brand, Emotional intelligence in management and leadership and Moving from manager to leader.
The Centre also offers coaching and mentoring. If you have a specific learning objective or a complex issue you want to explore, coaching from the Centre might be just what you're looking for.
- £595 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £755 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £855 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)