Professional writing skills for non-native English speakers
"I can speak English fluently, but writing letters and emails at work is very different."
"I studied English to a high level, but I never learned any business writing."
"My line manager often changes what I have written without explanation."
Does this sound like you? If English isn't your first language, business writing can be a big challenge. You may be extremely good at grammar and spelling, but not quite so sure how to word an email or construct an effective letter. This customised course will help you to express yourself clearly and appropriately in written English, including tips on building your skills and confidence.
“The trainer was amazing and had great knowledge. I could just sit for the whole day and listen! I am very pleased with what I have gained today.”
— MM, The Original London
“I have been to other training courses before but this experience actually has been exceptional. I met my objectives with the amazing support of the trainer, and the course book was very helpful.”
— GR, Smartology
“The course will be really helpful with my day to day job and I have really enjoyed my time during the training.”
— LP, Outward Housing
Course dates and location
We can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
If you would like to attend this course at our London training suite then register your interest with us. Currently, this course is run on request meaning that a date will be scheduled once we have at least three people interested in attending this course. Please contact us to log your interest in this course.
- There are no dates available at the moment.
We will focus on the skills you need for business writing and writing at work. Topics will include:
- identifying your own strengths and weaknesses
- understanding your organisation's house style
- using plain English
- getting the right words in the right order
- formal or informal? getting the tone right
- tricky points of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- structures and guidelines for letters and emails
- how to put it well - some useful phrases for letters
- one-to-one help with your own documents
- developing your skills after the course
- a year of free support
This course can be run as a group session or as an individual, half-day coaching session.
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for anyone working in English a second language who would like support in any aspect of writing at work.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
The course will boost your confidence and your skills. It will give you the tools for writing clear, concise English at work, whatever the task. You will leave with a useful handbook and an action plan for developing your skills.
Other courses to consider
If you want to improve your writing skills but English is your first language, then you may find another of our writing courses to be more suitable for you. Take a look at Writing skills: the basics - one day course or Business writing skills (which is aimed at those who need a bit more practice). For our full list of writing courses click here.
- £245 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £355 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £395 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)