Business planning: turning the vision into reality
This course deals with the practical aspects of business planning - those one to three year plans that show what you are actually going to do. You will use a range of proven tools and techniques to understand how to put together a compelling plan.
Starting from your organisation's strategic position, we will look at the priorities and SMART objectives that turn the vision into reality. Keeping in mind the needs of your beneficiaries or target market, we will review the external environment and how you should respond with new structures, processes and programmes.
In these challenging times, we will examine the changes you want to bring about and choices you will have to make, whilst exploring the financial foundations that will underpin your ability to deliver. We will also look at risks and their management strategies.
Finally, we will consider the role of communication in setting expectations and implementing the plan.
“A good, informative course with a lot of learning tools to take away.”
— LS, Jigsaw Visitors' Centre
“An excellent trainer and environment for training. The course was well structured and informative providing good resources and materials to be able to achieve objectives.”
— LO, Chain of Hope
“I got a lot of helpful tips and templates from the course. The course felt relevant to my work. The useful advice has really helped me give input into developing my team level plan.”
— NO, NCVO
Course dates and location
We can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
If you would like to attend this course at our London training suite then register your interest with us. Currently, this course is run on request meaning that a date will be scheduled once we have at least three people interested in attending this course. Please contact us to log your interest in this course.
- There are no dates available at the moment.
During this one-day course you will cover:
- where the business plan fits in the organisational planning horizon
- the link with strategy - meeting the needs of customers, users and beneficiaries in a changing environment
- understanding the 'sweet spot' where the idea, the people and the business case come together
- making difficult choices
- managing risks
- the contents of a typical plan
- communicating your plan
- a year of free support
This course takes place at the Centre's central London training suite with easy access to mainline rail, tube and bus links.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for anyone involved in business and financial planning for their organisations. This includes Board members, Trustees, Chief Executives and Senior Management Teams across the third, public and private sectors.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- identify the essential ingredients of a robust business plan to manage the operation
- link the business plan to the overall strategic plan of the organisation by focusing on priorities and outcomes
- communicate the plan
- assess the risks in the plan and put in place risk management strategies to combat them
Recognising that you may not get to use all this learning straightaway, the Centre offers a year of free post-course support.
Other courses to consider
We have a wide range of Management courses which may be of interest for further learning.
- £589 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £654 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)