Effective feedback and conversations
In flatter, more digital and complex organisations there’s an increasing need to have effective, and sometimes challenging, conversations with colleagues, members and stakeholders. This one day management course will focus on each group’s unique challenges whether that’s disagreeing with a senior colleague, motivating a high-performer or explaining a change initiative. We will use an anonymous online survey to get real-life examples from the participants and we’ll use those challenging behaviours and difficult conversations as the focus of the day. The programme is highly interactive and practical with exercises, self-assessments, group work, case studies and role playing. The focus of the day will be sharing best practice and toolkits to give the managers the skills and confidence to have these critical conversations.
“Excellent training course that was very well facilitated. I found the course very interesting and relevant to my role. It has given me more confidence to take forward in my management of staff.”
— MC, Electoral Commission
“This course has been REALLY valuable, building on previous courses and tackling some very important things. I feel I can begin to apply what I have learnt immediately.”
— P, Client Earth
“I feel I now have the tools to be more assertive and use the right language. It was very good to interact with people I don’t usually speak with.”
— CC, Pensions Ombudsman
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 25 June, 2020 — 15% off
- 15 September, 2020
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then Group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
Over this one day course we will cover:
- Welcome, introductions, aims for the day
- Reviewing the surveys: what conversations matter the most to this group
- Getting the desired outcome from a difficult conversation
- Effective listening to resolve problems
- Identifying different types of behaviour
- Adapting styles of communication to different situations
- What makes people behave in a difficult way
- Bringing out the best in people at their worst
- Persuasion and influence
- Communication skills: the feedback toolkit
- Knowing how and when to tackle issues
- How to build your confidence and assertiveness
- How to ask for a change in behaviour
- Managing conflict
- Dealing with aggression
- How to problem solve and negotiate with difficult people
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at managers who needs to deal with challenging attitudes, behaviours and situations. This course will work best if managers and their direct reports do not attend the same course.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of the day you will not only have a better awareness of yourself in terms of your own behavioural strengths and weaknesses, but you will also have increased confidence in dealing with challenging people, attitudes and behaviour. You will have a communications toolkit which can be used to plan, deliver and follow-up from challenging conversations. You’ll better understand your own emotional reactions to giving and receiving difficult feedback and will understand how resilience can be built up over time.
- £589 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £654 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)