Human Resources: the essentials
(Former name: HR skills for non HR managers)
Our one-day Human Resources: the essentials course is suitable for all managers who want a basic understanding of the key elements of people management. Aimed at non HR managers, this course will provide the knowledge and tools needed to ensure you consistently get things right with people and performance.
Working with a qualified Human Resources (HR) professional, you will learn about basic employment law and good practice, and have the opportunity through case studies to develop an awareness of the sensitivities around people management.
You will learn the value of HR and people management as a central part of the business of your organisation, leaving with renewed confidence to recognise and deal with challenging people scenarios.
“I felt the course was delivered to us in a very informative way and kept our attentions through shared experiences and discussions.”
— JW, Newlife Trading Ltd
“I found the course inclusive and it addresses issues from all attendees.”
— RK, British Science Association
“I found the course stimulating and interesting. The trainer demonstrated his vast experience in HR and employment law, and transmitted his enthusiasm and knowledge. ”
— JH, Eastend Homes
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 24 March, 2020
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then Group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
Human Resources (HR) Course in London for non-managers
The course deals with some technical aspects of HR, including employment law and good practice, ensuring you recruit the right people and get the best from them. Whilst the course looks at the technical issues of HR, no previous knowledge of HR law and practices is needed.
Over the day you will learn how to:
- work within the parameters of employment law:
- understand basic employment and employer responsibilities
- ensure that employment law is used to secure your organisational outcomes
- understand how to utilise employment law advice effectively
- plan to ensure that you attract the best candidates to your organisation and select them objectively and effectively:
- understand the principles of job design, person specification and recruitment methods
- explore the range of channels from which to source great talent for your organisation
- make best use of management and development processes
- address some of the most challenging issues for people managers; conduct, capability and coming to work (absence management)
- exploring what we mean by conduct, capability and coming to work
- discuss how to manage absent employees firmly and fairly
- deal with challenging employee situations
- understand how to differentiate between conduct and capability
- best practice for managing issues of conduct and capability
- discover the fundamentals of a HR strategy to take your organisation forward
- a year of free support
Delegates are encouraged to bring real-life issues with them to the course. You will have the opportunity to discuss how to resolve these issues in a confidential environment with the support of our HR specialist and other managers in similar situations.
Our human resources course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
- work within the parameters of employment law:
Who is this course for?
This Human Resources: the essentials course is aimed at front-line managers, specifically those with little experience of dealing with HR or people challenges and who may be facing such issues in the future. It would also be helpful for more senior managers who need to see HR in the broader context of their organisation’s overall development, and who may well find themselves supporting their more junior colleagues.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of this course you will have the knowledge and confidence to address common and tricky HR issues. You will be able to plan ahead on people-orientated issues, and take a pro-active stand in preventing issues arising in the first place. If and when these issues to arise, you will be able to respond confidently, quickly and effectively.
- Other courses to consider
- £512 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £569 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)