This practical one-day course will give you the opportunity to explore the role of a mentor and practice the skills necessary to mentor successfully.
Delegates will examine the skills, behaviours and values essential to become an effective mentor. Through a series of discussions, interactive exercises and case studies the day will cover the essentials of mentoring alongside potential pitfalls and problems.
Suitable for first time mentors, or those with more experience, this training will enable you to practice key mentoring skills as well as develop your unique mentoring style.
“I wanted to get an overview of how to be a good mentor - I feel like I've been given some very useful tips. I really enjoyed the psychology aspect of the course.”
— LP, CharityComms
“The course was excellent and probably the best course I've ever been on! I loved being able to talk to the rest of the group and find out what other people are doing and how we can work together.”
— PK, Scout Association
“I'm blown away by the Centre's facilities - I loved the herbal teas and well-stocked bathrooms! An outstanding trainer who was very knowledgeable, attentive to our needs, and interesting.”
— CK, Welsh Government
Course dates and location
We can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
If you would like to attend this course on our at our London training suite then register your interest with us. Currently, this course is run on request meaning that a date will be scheduled once we have at least three people interested in attending this course. Please contact us to log your interest in this course.
- There are no dates available at the moment.
The course will cover:
- what is mentoring and how it can contribute to organisational and individual development
- managing the mentoring process
- contracting and establishing ground rules
- your mentoring style and how self awareness can enhance the mentoring relationship
- using personality types, learning styles and mentoring
- developing effective relationships
- mentoring values
- mentoring pitfalls and how to avoid them
- self management and emotional intelligence
- active listening and responding skills
- goal setting and action planning
- evaluation of a mentoring session
- a year of free support
Our Effective mentoring course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Who is this course for?
This one-day training course held in London covers the key skills to mentor with confidence and would work well for managers, coordinators or consultants who want to add mentoring to their skill set.
The Effective mentoring course is suitable for first time mentors as well as those who already have experience mentoring.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
This course will enable you to:
- understand the role of mentor and practice the skills of an effective mentor
- demonstrate the difference between a coach and a mentor
- create an effective rapport with mentees
- recognise how personality and preferred learning styles impact upon the mentoring relationship
- identify essential mentoring skills
- assess individual needs
- manage resistance to constructive criticism
- practice reflective listening and appropriate questions
- evaluate mentoring sessions effectively
- Other courses to consider
- £345 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £445 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £495 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)