This practical one-day course will give you the opportunity to explore the role of the mentor and to practice the skills necessary to mentor successfully.
Delegates will examine the skills, behaviours and values essential to become an effective mentor. Through discussions, interactive exercises and case studies the day will cover the essentials of mentoring and mentoring approaches, alongside challenges and pitfalls to avoid.
Suitable for first time mentors, or those with more experience, this training will enable you to practice key mentoring skills as well as develop your unique mentoring style.
“I wanted to get an overview of how to be a good mentor - I feel like I've been given some very useful tips. I really enjoyed the psychology aspect of the course.”
— LP, CharityComms
“The course was excellent and probably the best course I've ever been on! I loved being able to talk to the rest of the group and find out what other people are doing and how we can work together.”
— PK, Scout Association
“I'm blown away by the Centre's facilities - I loved the herbal teas and well-stocked bathrooms! An outstanding trainer who was very knowledgeable, attentive to our needs, and interesting.”
— CK, Welsh Government
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 25 January, 2019
- 15 March, 2019
- 28 May, 2019
- 10 July, 2019
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then Group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
The course will cover:
- what mentoring is and how it contributes to organisational development
- how mentoring differs from other forms of development, such as coaching
- when to use mentoring
- the skills of the effective mentor
- getting started in mentoring
- mentoring ground rules and contracting
- structuring and managing mentoring sessions
- mentoring models
- active listening and questioning skills and techniques
- working with different learning and engagement styles
- goal setting and action planning
- dealing with challenges of mentoring, such as time pressures, lack of engagement or personality clashes
- evaluating mentoring relationships
- bringing mentoring relationships to an end
- a year of free support
Our Effective mentoring course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Who is this course for?
This one-day training course is suitable for anyone who is involved in mentoring or who wishes to develop mentoring skills. The course is suitable for first-time mentors as well as those who already have mentoring experience.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
This course will enable you to:
- understand the role of the mentor and the parameters of mentoring
- establish a mentoring relationship and set appropriate ground rules
- plan and structure mentoring sessions
- manage mentoring sessions
- learn and practice key mentoring skills
- assess and respond to individual mentoring needs
- work with different learning and engagement styles
- set appropriate goals and action plans
- assess the effectiveness of a mentoring relationship
- deal with common mentoring challenges
- manage the end of a mentoring relationship
- Other courses to consider
- £345 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £445 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £495 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)