Preparing tenders and proposals: the pitch, process and presentation
This highly practical one-day Preparing tenders writing workshop will prepare you for all aspects of tendering to deliver services and developing fundraising proposals, with a particular emphasis on 'consultative selling' techniques. The seminar will also focus on maintaining good client/funder relationships once the contract/funding has been awarded.
“The course was well structured, really interesting, engaging and helpful. It is the best training I have ever had.”
— KM, Picker Institute
“The course was great, I have been given some real takeaways that can be implemented immediately. Howard was excellent at conveying his points.”
— VF, Eventsforce
“I learnt a lot of useful skills and picked up lots of tips on how to make my applications more compelling. The course was very useful and covered all the points that I was hoping for. ”
— AE, Peterborough Environment City Trust
“This was a useful day with plenty of food for thought by the end. I enjoyed the discussions.”
— DM, Ministry of Defence
“An excellent course. Very interactive and thought provoking.”
— CW, Money Advice Trust
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 6 December, 2017 — 20% off
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
This is an in-depth, one-day course and the content and delivery of the programme is underpinned by first-hand experience in the tendering and proposal-writing business. The day will balance the theoretical and practical aspects of the subject, and participants will be involved in case study work, group discussion and self-reflection in order to encourage critical evaluation of different elements of preparing tenders and proposals. The course will cover:
Laying the groundwork
- what business are we in?
- what are our unique selling points?
- who is our competition?
- SWOT analysis
The Goldilocks place
- balance of ideas, people and price
The strategy and tactics of bidding
- key elements of bidding and how to apply them to specific situations
- reading the RFP - what do they really want and do we want to do it?
- consultative selling
Writing the Tender or proposal
- style and structure
- costing your proposal
- pitfalls to avoid
- countdown to submission
Presenting the proposal
- called to interview
- developing your presentation
- handling objections
- getting your messages across
- competing in the Beauty Parade
Building long term relationships after the contract
- relationship marketing
- building long-term partnerships with your customers
- overcoming problems
- value-added services
Group assignments, presentations, feedback and final discussion
A year of free support
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to mainline rail and tube stations and bus routes.
Who is this course for?
The course is aimed at those who are responsible for responding to invitations to tender, for preparing proposals, and for overall business development in your organisation. The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- make better decisions about which opportunities to pursue
- understand how to assemble all the bid or proposal elements
- have more confidence in formulating a winning proposition
- maximise the opportunities for follow-on funding or repeat business
- increase your chances of success!
Other courses to consider
The Centre offers a wide range of communication and writing courses. Courses of particular interest may include our one day presentation skills course for beginners or our two day presentation skills course for those more experienced with presenting and public speaking. You may also find the Centre's Assertiveness training useful.
- £245 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £355 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £395 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)