Project management (10 CPD hours)
This two-day Project management course in London looks at every aspect of managing a project. Working on your own case study, you will learn and apply the many tools and techniques involved. It will help you get more structure into your management of projects. The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
“I've received invaluable insight into the world of project management. The skills and strategies that have been covered will add to my ability to manage projects going forward. ”
— LP, People 1st
“Engaging, enlightening and practical - excellent! The trainer had taken the extra care to research the organisation and this made a huge difference.”
— LR, Lesbian and Gay Foundation
“This course gave me the tools to return to my workplace and approach my current projects in a more structured way.”
— DH, Cisco Systems Ltd
“Fabulous! The programme was well designed and well executed. Most of all it was very enjoyable.”
— JF, Stoke on Trent Early Years &Childcare Services
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 14 May, 2019 – 15 May, 2019
- 21 August, 2019 – 22 August, 2019
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then Group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
Project Management Training in London
This Project management course deals with the technical aspects of project management, including planning and estimating time, budgeting and costing, and risk analysis. We also explore the 'people' skills involved: communicating with project teams, stakeholders and project champions.
Over the two days you will learn how to:
- define a project
- analyse the key issues for your project
- draw up effective terms of reference for a project
- clarify your project’s aims, objectives and success factors
- understand the stages of a project including mapping the project and the project tasks
- grouping the project’s tasks into meaningful categories
- plan and sequence your project
- understanding and working with critical time points
- using a Gantt Chart showing the project tasks, their timescales, how these are linked and related and what is the resulting critical time-line
- constructing a critical time line
- risk management
- draw up a realistic project budget
- constructing a project budget outlining the main elements, and how each might be estimated and taking into account all project costs, support costs and overheads which meets the requirements of project stakeholders and funders
- describing how income will be derived from the project, if appropriate and over what timescale
- constructing a simple cash flow forecast for the project
- reading a project’s management accounts
- keeping to budget
- work effectively with your project team
- constructing a project team
- understanding and overcoming the barriers to building a high performance team
- using the Belbin team types as a useful tool in developing your project team
- understanding and using the ‘team lifecycle’
- communicating with your team and the rest of the organisation
- dealing with conflict in the team
- work with stakeholders and champions
- understanding who your stakeholders are and what influence and interest they have in the project
- communicating with stakeholders
- influencing stakeholders
- monitor and evaluate your project
- designing a simple monitoring system
- using critical success and failure factors
- developing parameters for the project and monitoring progress against these parameters
- metrics for projects, and what evaluation methods to use when metrics are not appropriate
- where metrics cannot be applied to monitoring, show what will be observed to demonstrate that progress has taken place
- using external monitoring systems (eg a funder's evaluation format)
The course also includes a year of free support from your trainer.
This project management course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
- define a project
Who is this course for?
This Project management training is aimed at those with only a little experience of project management who want to learn the basic skills and get some tips and techniques for introducing the disciplines of project management. It would also be very useful for those who have some experience of small projects and want to further develop their skills.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of the Project management course, you will be able to plan your project effectively, estimating time factors accurately and detailing the work of different projects efficiently. You will recognise the different stakeholders involved in your projects and be able to devise strategies for each of them. You will have a useful tool for risk analysis which you can apply to a wide range of situations and you will be able to cost the different elements of your project accurately and monitor your project budget.
Other courses to consider
As well as our project management training in London the Centre offers a wide range of courses to help managers develop their skills, including Moving into management and Finance skills for non financial managers.
You may also be interested in purchasing the Centre's published book: Project management.
- £655 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £825 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £925 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)