Moving into management - taking on your first management role (12 CPD hours)
(Former name: Moving into management: taking on a new role)
This two-and-a-half-day management training course has been specifically designed for people who are embarking on a new role in management. It will increase your understanding of the manager's role, and leave you with a development plan for gaining further management skills.
The course is worth 12 CPD points, and is also available at an endorsed level through the ILM. To sign up to the ILM version of our Ladder management courses, the course fee plus an additional £155+VAT ILM fee per person applies.
“The building, the trainer and overall experience is one I will not forget. Great company, great training and a fantastic experience that I am grateful for.”
— CK, Aerodrome Children's Centre
“The course was fast-paced and covered lots of ground. The trainer was enthusiastic and motivational. I feel the course was a great benefit to me and look forward to putting my new skills into practise”
— CC, Concourse Display Management Ltd
“The course was brilliant. Honestly, I was worried that there would be a lot of jargon and 'management speak' and lot of theory, but everything was taught with a keep focus on practical implementation.”
— RB, Breast Cancer Campaign
“Excellent – a really interesting course and a great trainer. I will take lots away with me and try out the practical solutions for stress.”
— PF, British Science Association
“The Centre will remain number one choice for training for me.”
— IA, UnLtd.
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Please note: we allow a maximum of three people per organisation on our Individual training courses.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 3 July, 2019 – 4 July, 2019 (plus half-day morning follow-up on 31 July, 2019)
- 5 August, 2019 – 6 August, 2019 (plus half-day morning follow-up on 2 September, 2019)
- 5 September, 2019 – 6 September, 2019 (plus half-day afternoon follow-up on 22 October, 2019)
- 3 October, 2019 – 4 October, 2019 (plus half-day afternoon follow-up on 22 October, 2019)
- 11 November, 2019 – 12 November, 2019 (plus half-day morning follow-up on 6 January, 2020)
- 3 December, 2019 – 4 December, 2019 (plus half-day morning follow-up on 6 January, 2020)
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then Group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
Management Training Courses in London
This training course helps new managers gain confidence and skills. It focuses particularly on the crucial people skills that you need to supervise and motivate your team. We will work on group members’ own issues, as well as prepared case studies, in a confidential and supportive setting. Over the two days you will cover:
- the manager’s role: key management responsibilities
- leadership and management
- planning ahead: principles, tools and strategies
- motivating and managing individuals
- performance management systems: induction, appraisal and supervision
- offering effective and appropriate feedback
- the art of delegation
- leading your team
- management and leadership styles
- good communications: verbal and non-verbal messages
- the importance of good listening skills
- managing with assertiveness
- time management
- your current management issues and difficulties
- a year of free support
After each management training course, there is an opportunity to return and review your progress, looking particularly at any sticking points, at a scheduled half-day follow-up session.
Our Moving into management training course can be delivered at our Central London training suite or in-house for customers throughout the UK and around the world.
Still not sure if this is the right course for you? Why not take a look at our top tips for managers, which will give you a taste of the course content as well as some free, handy advice!
Who is this course for?
Our Moving into management course is for anyone stepping on the first rung of the management ladder. They may recently have taken up a post, or be about to do so. Others with more experience but no formal training will also find the course rewarding. The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
Each day includes some whole group sessions, but the emphasis is on practical exercises in groups, pairs and on your own. The course offers many opportunities to work on your own real-life management problems, in a supportive and totally confidential environment.
Other courses to consider
You can take this course at an endorsed level through the ILM - see more details. To sign up to the ILM version of our Ladder management courses, the course fee plus an additional £155+VAT ILM fee per person applies.
This course is an introduction to a range of management skills. The Centre offers a wide programme of other management courses, all of which have been designed to help you further your professional development. Why not take a look at Strategic planning and thinking; Project management; Finance skills for non-financial managers; Time management for managers; Diversity. New managers can sometimes need help with their assertiveness so you may wish to try the Centre's Assertiveness training.
You may also be interested in purchasing the Centre's published book: Moving into management.
- £655 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £825 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £925 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)