Strategic planning and thinking skills
Strategic planning is about getting your team, department or organisation where it needs to go. Starting from knowing where you are and moving to where you want to get to, our Strategic planning and thinking skills course takes you right through the strategic planning process with helpful tools, techniques and ideas for every stage to enhance your strategic thinking skills.
“I found the course very informative and interesting which was helped tremendously by Howard's presentation style and content. I feel I have learned many new and useful techniques. ”
— DC, FSCS
“I was a bit scared of coming on this course as first because I thought it would be quite 'corporate'. But it was relaxed, friendly and fun and I learned a lot.”
— AK, Balik Arts
“The course was well facilitated, with excellent handouts. Use of creative approaches to think strategically was excellent. ”
— MG, 409 Projects Ltd
“The trainer was brilliant and he made sure all attendees were kept involved and engaged. I learnt a great deal of new information that will be very useful.”
— LB, British Ecological Society
“The course offered great tools and information to aid in the strategic planning process. I'm leaving with a sense of confidence and determination to write and implement my strategy and vision.”
— CEW, Sue Ryder
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 6 June, 2017 – 7 June, 2017
- 1 August, 2017 – 2 August, 2017
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
Strategic planning training course in London
Over the two days you will cover:
- defining what 'strategic' means
- using the strategic planning process to help you make choices about the future nature and direction of your organisation
- assessing the benefits and risks of strategic planning
- preparing for the planning process including developing a project plan, identifying your stakeholders
- the value of stakeholder involvement at every phase
- undertaking a strategic review to determine ‘where are we now?' including stakeholder research, collaborator/competitor analysis and understanding when and how to use analytical tools such as SWOT, PEST and the Boston Consulting Group matrix to understand your organisation and its environment
- thinking about the relationship between outputs, outcomes and impact
- identifying strategic direction
- taking a fresh look at what your organisation is, what it does, and why
- clarifying mission, vision, values and direction of travel
- recognising the relationship between organisation strategy and brand identity, and aligning the two
- recognising how the findings of the review will impact on the organisation's strategic direction
- setting strategic objectives
- establishing success criteria
- listing priority areas for action and developing objectives
- applying SMART strategic thinking skills
- using outcomes-based tools
- implementing the strategy
- understanding the key factors involved in implementing strategy
- using action planning tools such as logical frameworking, action planning grids and planning wheels
- communicating your strategic plan
- undertaking effective monitoring and evaluation
- understanding the difference between monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment
- identifying the indicators, and how to measure their achievement
- recognising emergent approaches to monitoring and evaluation such as participatory, real-time, balanced scorecard
This course also includes a year of free support from your trainer.
This course is CPD accredited and worth 10 CPD points.
This course takes place at the Centre's central London training suite.
Who is this course for?
Our Strategic planning and thinking skills course is suitable for managers with strategic planning responsibility. Although the emphasis is on corporate or organisation-wide planning, the tools and techniques covered will have value for business unit or departmental managers.
The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of the Strategic planning and thinking skills training you will be confident in differentiating strategic from business planning. You will recognise the importance and value of detailed analysis and have experience in using a variety of tools and techniques. You will have an appreciation of the relationship between your organisation's vision and mission and its future, and will have applied this thinking to your own organisation. You will also have a clear understanding of monitoring and evaluation, and will have improved your strategic thinking skills.
Other courses to consider
If you are looking for a shorter course in the area of strategy, then consider our introductory level course Strategy: from the vision to implementation which is a one-day course offering an introduction to strategic thinking and an all round overview of the topic.
- £655 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £825 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £925 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)