Radio and television interviews
(Former name: Media interviews: how to get your message across)
How you present yourself in radio and television interviews has a direct impact on audience opinion of your organisation as a whole. This media relations training course will help you develop the skills you need to make sure you say what you need to and leave a memorable and positive impression.
“This is one of the best courses I have attended in a long time. The pace and content were exactly right and I have a lot of learning points to take away and use for presentations.”
— VH, Cliex
“All the participants really did get a lot out of it, and felt that it was extremely worthwhile. I will now go away and try to turn our ideas into a concrete plan of action.”
— MR, CST
“The course surpassed all my expectations - it has improved my confidence in media interviews and strengthened my understanding of the needs of the press. It was the best courses I've ever been on.”
— JG, Shelter
“My goal was to be more comfortable with radio and TV interviews. I definitely feel more confident now and enjoyed practicing. The course had just the right balance of theory, discussion and practice.”
— JD, US-UK Fulbright Commission
“A really good practical course with a knowledgeable and engaging trainer.”
— SH, Museum Association
Course dates and location
This course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Our next available course dates for individuals are:
- 5 May, 2017
This course starts at 10am and will finish by 4.30pm. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
Alternatively, we can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
Media interview /relations training in London
This is a very practical and participative course, run by experienced journalists/trainers. It offers advice and techniques on every aspect of a media interview, from preparation through to body language and clothing. This training will give you the confidence and skills you need to inspire your audience and get your messages across.
Over the day you will cover:
- understanding the media agenda
- how to prepare for an interview
- identifying what you want to achieve
- understanding your audience
- who are they?
- how they listen and what they hear
- what they remember
- developing and supporting your messages
- message development
- using high impact language and examples
- using information and 'killer facts' to keep attention and raise awareness
- handling questions
- anticipating and dealing with questions
- staying in control of the interview
- techniques to get your messages across under fire
- good news and bad news interviews
- creating a positive and powerful personal style
- being an effective spokesperson, embodying the brand of your organisation
- body language
- dressing for TV
- image management
- using your voice effectively
- developing your confidence and handling nerves
- staying calm under pressure
- techniques to focus, and use your adrenalin positively
This is a ‘hands-on’ course that combines training sessions with lots of practical exercises. All participants undertake a television and radio interview and take home a film of their performance.
The course also includes a year of free support from your trainer.
This training course takes place at the Centre's Central London training suite with easy access to tube and mainline rail stations.
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for anyone whose work involves talking to journalists, or undertaking TV and radio interviews. This media interview training course is of equal benefit to those new to media contact, and to more experienced people wanting to improve their technique. The Centre works with people from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, corporate sector and private sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
This course will give you the skills and confidence to be a really effective spokesperson for your organisation. It will help you understand how to express your messages for maximum impact, and will ensure you know how to make the most of three minutes under the spotlight.
- Other courses to consider
- £295 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £395 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £445 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)