Monitoring, evaluation and impact assessment: making a difference
"Not everything that counts can be counted. And not everything that can be counted, counts." Albert Einstein
The pressures for 'change', 'getting results' or 'having an impact' are ever-present in today's workplace. Whether these arise from new initiatives or plans, change programmes or projects it has become increasingly important to demonstrate success or adapt to changing circumstances. But, as the quote suggests, these can sometimes be elusive. Monitoring progress and evaluation of results can help but what do you measure and when? How do you balance 'doing the right thing' with 'doing it right'?
"It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong." John Maynard Keynes
This one-day introductory course will clarify your thinking, enable you to build monitoring and evaluation systems into your plans from the outset and help you demonstrate that you are making a difference.
“I found the course enjoyable and would recommend it to others. I really liked working through the forms and work sheets. I feel more prepared to get started and eager to learn more. Thanks! ”
— AS, LawWorks
“A very good course and excellent trainer. I was provided with tools that I can see myself using right away. I feel there is a lot I am taking away and can share with my colleagues.”
— PM, London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
“The course offered many useful insights and some frameworks/tools which I can start to apply at my work. The venue and refreshments were the best I've experienced!”
— LW, Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
Course dates and location
We can deliver this course at your venue, for your team, on a date and time that suits you. If you have four or more people who would like to attend this course then group training could be the most cost-effective option. Contact one of our Training Coordinators on 020 7490 3030 or email for more information and a quote.
If you would like to attend this course at our London training suite then register your interest with us. Currently, this course is run on request meaning that a date will be scheduled once we have at least three people interested in attending this course. Please contact us to log your interest in this course.
- There are no dates available at the moment.
During the day you will cover:
- building monitoring and evaluation into your project plans
- impact assessment as part of the project lifecycle
- deciding the types of information you need and when
- preparing Terms of Reference for monitoring or evaluation activities
- the difference between outputs and outcomes
- different ways of getting the information you need
- the six key questions you will want to ask
- how to demonstrate success and use the lessons learned
- a year of free support
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for senior managers with responsibility for making things happen. The tools and techniques covered in this course will give you clarity and practical support in a wide range of situations.
The Centre works with organisations from all sectors including the public sector, voluntary sector, private sector and corporate sector.
What will this course help me do: learning outcomes?
By the end of the course, you will be able to plan and implement monitoring and evaluation procedures integral with your projects, initiatives or programmes, and from the outset. You will recognise what success or failure looks like, and have an appreciation of what information you need to make that decision. You will have some useful tools to enable you to demonstrate that you are making a difference.
- Other courses to consider
- £345 plus VAT small charity price (applies to registered charities with an annual turnover of less than £3m)
- £445 plus VAT not-for-profit price (applies to all other charities and all other not-for-profit organisations, including public sector and housing)
- £495 plus VAT standard price (applies to all other organisations)